Rules & Policies
We like to keep things simple, so most of the rules below can be summed up in the following 3 guidelines:
1) Vancouver, BC, and Canadian laws apply, Don’t break them.
2) Don’t be a dick to others, as per Wheaton’s Law.
3) When in doubt, use your common sense.
For a more specific breakdown, please see below:
1) The golden rule applies: Treat others as you would like others to treat you. Don’t be a jerk.
2) Any and all common rules of proper civil conduct and public decency apply. You are in a public space and anything that applies to the regular world applies here. Please act accordingly. Always remember: safety first.
3) No harming others, yourself, or damaging property. This falls under rules 1 and 2, but it warrants specific note. We will not be peace-bonding props, but that does not give you permission to hit people or things with them. Don’t do it.
4) No drugs, no smoking, no outside alcohol, no exceptions. If you are clearly intoxicated, you will be removed from the convention grounds.
5) Don’t harass people. If people want you to leave them alone, leave them alone. If people ask to not be photographed, please respect that and move on. Creepers, no creeping.
1) If you’re bringing a replica gun, make sure it has a bright neon tip.
2) Don’t bring real weapons, no exceptions.
3) Do not bring metal swords. (If you buy one, remove it from the convention grounds immediately)
4) Using metal in props is ok, but avoid sharp or pointy ends.
5) Hitting others with props will result in your pass being revoked, and possible charges for assault.
6) We do not peace bond props, but Canadian law still applies.
1) Public decency laws apply.
2) Keep the naughty bits covered.
3) We reserve the right to ask people to cover up if we deem an outfit inappropriate.
Note: if you are unsure about your outfit, just ask us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Cos & Effect Terms and Conditions
By accepting your pass and entering the convention grounds for Cos & Effect 2011, you agree to the following:
1) You agree to abide by the rules outlined above, and understand that violating any of these rules may result in disciplinary action which includes but is not limited to: the temporary removal of property (which will be stored in a secure location until you come to retrieve it when you leave the grounds), temporary or permanent dismissal from the convention grounds, or the revoking of your pass completely without a refund.
2) You consent to being photographed or recorded by anyone on convention grounds for any reason, and you agree that they can use said photographs or recordings fairly.
3) You agree that IRL Event Management Inc. and the University of British Columbia and all related properties, entities and associated persons are not liable for any injuries, illness or other bad things that happen to you or anyone else, or any loss or damage to your property while on convention grounds.
4) You agree that we reserve the right to revoke your pass or any privileges that come with it at any time for any reason. We also reserve the right to remove you from convention property if we deem necessary.
5) You accept that due to the transferable nature of passes, we will not be issuing replacements under any circumstance. Treat your pass like you would treat cash.
Also in this section